I wanted to share this Safety Alert from Servpro – This YouTube Video above illustrates what can happen during a flood.
The majority of emergency calls we receive at Servpro are concerning water damages either from a source inside the home or a weather related leak or flood. Here are some tips on what to do and what not to do while waiting for our technicians to arrive.
After any water damage situation, your primary focus should be safety first:
1) Is it safe to stay in the house?
2) Electrical and “slip and fall” hazards are some of the most prevalent concerns.
3) Only do activities that are safe for you to perform.
4) Wet materials can be VERY heavy. Be careful!
What to do after flooding:
1) Shut-off the water source if possible and if it can be done safely.
2) Remove excess water by mopping and blotting.
3) Wipe excess water from wood furniture after removal of lamps and tabletop items.
4) Remove and prop wet upholstery and cushions.
5) Place aluminum foil or wood blocks between furniture legs and wet carpeting
6) Turn air conditioning on for maximum drying in summer.
7) Remove colored rugs from wet carpeting.
8) Remove art objects to a safe, dry place.
9) Gather loose items from floors.
What not to do after flooding:
1) Don’t leave wet fabrics in place. Hang furs and leather goods.
2) Don’t leave books, magazines or other colored items on wet carpet or floors.
3) Don’t use your household vacuum to remove water.
4) Don’t use television or other household appliances.
5) Don’t turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet, and keep out of rooms where ceilings are sagging.
Servpro has a 1-4-8 promise for emergency water damage service. Servpro will return your emergency call within one hour from first notice, be onsite within 4 hours to start mitigation and provide a verbal briefing of the restoration plan within 8 hours. When disaster strikes, please contact Vaughan Branch with Servpro of Carteret and East Onslow Counties at 252-223-3100 or 910-326-1344.